Not enough steam in this head for a full pressing on one issue so we’re going to just go random.
1. Ditty bag. I haven’t heard that phrase in years, but I’m reading William Goldman’s Adventures In The Screen Trade and he used it there. So now it’s stuck in my head. Apparently a lot of other people use it. I guess I’m not up on my bag terminology.
3. 2 is coming up later. I chopped it and threw it at the end. Feel free to skip two altogether.
4. Knee deep in the Vorkosigan saga right now, and I’m absolutely adoring it. Lois McMaster Bujold is somebody who should have a lot more traction in the world. She’s an excellent writer. I owe Christy Nicholson a major debt for recommending these. Consider this my recommending them to you.
5. I’m now a convert to the whole “Room of one’s own” thing that was such a trend about 10 years ago. I rememeber when that author decided to run with the Virginia Woolf quote (it is Virginia Woolf, right? I don’t feel like googling it right now. Maybe I’ll check on that later) and put out a book about creating a sanctuary within one’s home for one’s self. At the time the book came out I had zero money and the whole idea seemed like another thing designed to rub my lack of funds in my face. But now that I sunk my birthday money into the futon, the breakfast nook has become the SPoT. This is short for “Sun Puddle Throne”. And it is more healing than I ever thought possible to just sit there and watch the moon sail across the night. I’m not so much regretting my insomnia anymore.
6. Speaking of sleep. I have the surgery next week. I’m not worried about the pain–I’m in pain all the time. But the anesthesia…there’s a worry. I’m always afraid I won’t wake up. So that’s the care I’m casting on the Lord right now. I also don’t really want to complain about insomnia because then I feel like the Universe would be all “you wanted sleep! Here’s sleep!”
7. I really very much dislike people who talk to me in high-flown churchy language. I just want to say “quit acting a part and be real. Communicate as one person to another. Not as some pompous git speaking a part.” Ended up blocking someone on FB this week because of it. That makes 4 blocks now. I hate blocking, but sometimes it just has to happen.
Now, I’m done with the random stuff and I’m going to let you choose whether or not you want to read #2. Understand that it involves religion and controversy so….feel free to go there after the jump.
2. I didn’t really want to write about this but I’m going to just give on paragraph to excise it. I’m so very tired of all of the posts about sold-out chicken sandwiches and lines around the block. So many of them have this smug undertone that seems to be just…i don’t know. I hate the Culture Wars. This is why I really am out of sorts with the now-deceased Chuck Colson. He trumped up Culture Wars in the church like they’re a great idea. Nobody right now is looking at this chicken sandwich thing and thinking “wow! Grace! Kindness! Forgiveness! I want some!” Nobody.