It’s Friday, rainy and May. Three of my favourite things, but also three things that make me restless and eager to move to the season of leisure–Saturday, summer vacation and that fresh clean time after the rain clears out. So no long ruminations on Locke, no conversations about the hopeless rigidity of certain faith systems. Just thirteen random things I want to mention, little Post-its from my brain.
1. I gave in to lust and temptation and got Mary Doria Russell’s new novel about Doc Holliday. I’ve loved Doc Holliday since I was a girl, entranced by his iconoclasm. And I figured MDR owed me a better book than the last one. Thirty-five percent of the way through it and, to no one’s surprise, there are Jesuits. I just hope this Jesuit isn’t raped by a giant space puppycat, as I can only handle that story once. And just barely at that.
2.I love Russell’s fascination with the Jesuit culture. I share a minor amount, but I imagine were I Roman Catholic I’d share even more. I’m always intrigued by anyone who is part of a group that values disciplines of the mind. Kabbalists (the real ones, pre-Madonna and the red string), Physicians, philosophers, astronauts. Is it any wonder all the books I write have at least one of those creatures?
3. The older I get the more I lose patience with the RC insistence that priests remain celibate. It doesn’t really matter to me as anything more than an intellectual exercise and their faith is theirs. I just can’t help but wonder if it would energise the Catholic church to allow priests to marry.
4. I’ve decided to quit dreading the rainy days. I used to love nothing more than a good thunderstorm. To sit on the porch swing and watch the weather wash the world is so comforting and calming. When rain started ushering in the extra pain, when we started using my whimpering and clawed grip as a more reliable weather predictor than Channel 4 (“It’s Arthritis Bird!”) I started to hate the rain. I think I’m over that. I mean I’m gonna hurt anyway, right? May as well also enjoy the good stuff.
5. Stouffer’s has changed their frozen lasagne recipe. Now it sort of tastes like ketchup and noodles. This bums me out because these frozen lasagnes have been a go-to meal for me for 30 years.
6. I am showing remarkable restraint by not spending all my family’s money on sea-glass jewelry at Etsy. I don’t, as a rule, care for jewelry in the way I care for books and computer things. But I love stuff like this.
7. I keep meaning to write a full post about sea glass. About how it reminds me of me–trash redeemed and turned to treasure–and how I think it is worth more to my mind than diamonds. But maybe since I just said it all there that’s good enough.
8. Running out of words; I’m only at 8 and I’ve 485 words already. I guess this may go over. I’m truly sorry.
9. I don’t like Angry Birds. I’ve tried. I just don’t get it.
10. I am, however, still wildly addicted to Pocket Frogs. It’s weird how soothing I find that sort of thing. Maybe I should re-investigate stamp collecting.
11. My parents have given me for various birthdays and Christmases kits for beginning calligraphy, beginning drawing, beginning stamp collecting. I stuck with the calligraphy and the drawing, but I get so little mail…
12. This Doc Holliday book makes me wonder about what has happened to Val Kilmer. I was on his personal website and he seems both genuine and a little out there.
13. My passion for greek yogurt is getting out of control. I do need the vitamins and the calcium so I eat a cup a day. Many days it’s the only thing I eat. There might need to be a yogurt rehab.