What day besides 4/11 would be more appropriate for letting folks know that I will be blogging each episode of Game Of Thrones in detail? Since the first episode is this Sunday night–and will be as celebrated an event in The Coble House as the Super Bowl–now is the best time to let all of you know you need to set your TiVos or whatever other DVR you use.
A few other thoughts after the jump…
- Since I don’t want to have to say it six times every week I’ll say it once now. You would most likely love the book, and love it even more after reading the subsequent books in the series. The clips I’ve seen look like HBO has done a masterful effort at condensing the material, so I doubt you’ll be lost without a pre-read. But you ARE missing on one of the finest works of modern literature, and I know you don’t want that!
- Prepare to feel very strongly about specific houses and specific characters. A year ago someone in the general fandom said they expect one of the outcomes of the show to be folks declaring themselves part of one of the various Houses the way they did for Harry Potter. (In GOT the Houses are more like they were in Dune–various aristocratic families–as opposed to school dormitory groups.) The four major houses of note are House Stark, House Baratheon, House Lannister and House Targaryen.
- My favourite character in all of the books–one of my favourite literary characters full stop–is Tyrion Lannister. I need to say that now so that my recaps aren’t sloshing over with Tyrion acclaim.
- To avoid spoilers I will hold my House affiliation in abeyance.
- I’ve seen the first 15 minutes on HBO. They are remarkably true to the book. That means that the opening scene of the miniseries is identical to the book’s prologue and therefore seems out of place until much later in the story.
- I don’t work for HBO. I am not in George RR Martin’s will. I have no vested interest in you watching this series other than I like for people I like to get a chance to enjoy the things I find sublime.