I did some musing in the shower this morning. One thing led to another and now I feel as though I can share some things with the world.
Things that used to be hip but aren’t anymore:
- Referencing Spinal Tap. Seriously, if one more person says “these go to 11” or “you can’t dust for vomit”…tell them it’s just over.
- Spiritual journeys inspired by slickly marketed books. “The Secret” and “Prayer of Jabez”, I’m looking at you.
- Talking about how macho Jack Bauer and Chuck Norris are. Folks, this was funny for exactly three and a half minutes. Then it got tired. And stupid. No offence to people I know who used to write for Walker: Texas Ranger.
- The Shopaholic books. Anyone who glorifies unpaid bills and conspicuous consumption in this economy needs to be flayed with sharp-edged credit cards filed to a point.
- Sitting in a bookstore and reading books, magazines and newspapers without even having the vaguest of intentions to pay for them. Yes, I know the store puts the comfy chairs there. That doesn’t mean that you aren’t stealing.
- Ragging on people who play Facebook games. Look, we all amuse ourselves in different ways. I don’t pick on you for spending hours at the mall looking for cheap clothes. I don’t say anything about the vast amounts of Reality TV you watch. You have fun your way, I’ll have fun mine.
- System Of A Down
- Family Guy
- Flipping houses
- Designer dog breeds
- Barack Obama. Sorry–you know it’s true. Bunches of people who voted for him are now just kind of gritting their teeth and bearing it. No more hipster graphic art posters, huh?
- Designer covers for Kindle and Nook. Yes, the eReaders are expensive. And Kate Spade is famous. But no one should pay 50% of the eReader cost for a Kate Spade cover. That’s just completely wrong. Especially since you can’t tell the difference between the $120 Kate Spade solid covers and the $35 ones from M-Edge.
- True Blood. Sorry folks. I sat through all of Season 3 this last week. I give the show 2 more seasons before everyone else realises it’s jumped the shark. Me, personally–I feel like it jumped the shark last season during the Meat Idol scenes. This whole season was just an attempt to retain hipster cred and “sexy soap” status. Shame it’s not working. Last night’s season finale was the most Meh thing I’ve seen in a long while.