Fall is one of my starting points. I don’t really do the January 1 thing, but I’m so programmed by the school year that I DO do a “new year, new start” every fall. Throughout the summer I have been pondering something, and this is where many of you come in.
This year I will begin working as a part-time reader.
What Does That Mean?
I will offer my services as a beta-reader, a proof-reader and a researcher.
I have been doing these things in an unstructured manner for friends and acquaintances and colleagues upon request. I’m now prepared to offer my services on a structured basis, committing three hours a day, five days a week.
- Beta Reader–This is where I read a whole or part of a work and give you feedback about what I think works, what I think doesn’t work and what possible changes might make the story more saleable.
- Proof-Reader–This is where I read to check for spelling errors, grammatical errors, continuity errors. I do this reflexively when I beta-read, but I don’t always give notes on proofing changes when a book is in beta stage.
- Researcher–If you are writing a book and you don’t care to do the research, I will do it for you. Say you want to know what type of poison would be best to kill a horse without a trace. I will track that information down and give you a brief report.
What Do I Charge?
Same as always. I don’t charge for these services at present. There may come a day when that changes, but for now I know many writers are in an economic crunch as it is. I don’t want to make money off of someone who hasn’t made money yet.
Why Am I Doing This?
My present circumstance prevents me from having traditional employment. It has also prevented me from doing volunteer work. I used to volunteer for the Nashville Public Library and wanted to volunteer for Nashville Literacy but am unable to go out to meetings and teaching assignments. I’ve decided that as I’ve been doing this for awhile now anyway, I may as well turn it into a volunteer job of sorts.
What Will I Read?
- Non-fiction–all types except: Sports biography, Fictionalised Memoir without disclaimer, Recovery Memoirs
- Historical fiction
- Category Romance (NO EROTICA)
- Epic Fantasy
- Urban Fantasy
- Science Fiction
- Young Adult
- Women’s Fiction
How Do I Contact You?
by email: email@example.com
via Facebook: Facebook.com/mycropht
Are you writing your own work?
I am indeed still working on my own fiction. If you wish to use my services I will sign a non-disclosure agreement along with a standard contract about privacy and your copyright to your work. I do reserve the right to refuse to read any stories that are too similar to my own in premise so that there will be no conflict.