- We are not at church to worship YOU.
- No one cares how “transported” you are by the music.
- This is not a show starring you.
- No matter how musically talented you are, you are not the last word on theology and matters of faith
- You look like an idiot when you wear sandals to church. Yes, Jesus wore sandals. Jesus also lived in Israel 2000 years ago and didn’t have indoor plumbing. I bet you showered and flushed the potty before coming to church. Try adding “put on big boy shoes” to your getting-ready-for-church repratoire.
- Songs with 9 words do NOT get more profound if you repeat them over and over again.
- There is more to God than how “awesome” he makes YOU feel. Try finding a song or three that magnifies God’s characteristics apart from the warm fuzzies YOU get from
worshipping himsinging in front of an audience.
- If a song could also be sung to your cat, then perhaps you could aim for something with a bit more substance. For instance: “The sun shines in your eyes/you make my day complete/I could love you all day long/ your love is so sweet.”
- Do not talk during the song. You sound like an egomaniacal moron when you interrupt the congregational singing with your chestnuts of wisdom. For instance: Siiilent Niiight Lord, we’re glad to praise you on this silent night Ho-o-o-leeee Niiight “God you are so awesomely holy!!!”
A List For Modern Worship Leaders
December 28, 2007 by Katherine Coble